Below is a summary of my previous portfolio breakout winners by valuations (estimated range):
- 4 x $1B+ (unicorn exit Cruise valued $30B in 2021)
- 5 x $500M+(with Retool nearly a unicorn);
- 10 x $250M+;
- 3 x $100M, etc.
This also helps to demonstrate why and how an annual portfolio of 20 startups with “High Hit Rate” may work very well. Imagine — if the initial check represents 0.5% — 5% ownership (not a lead position).
2. Zapier — API integration and automation. Profitable. Remote only.
- Epic! — Leading digital library for kids. $52M raised.
- EightSleep — #1 Smart mattress and sleep fitness. $70M raised.
- Bevi —Smart water cooler with pure, flavored and sparking water. $60M raised.
- Go1 — Enterprise on-line learning platform. $84M raised.
- BitMovin — provides adaptive streaming infrastructure for video publishers and integrators with fastest cloud encoding and HTML5 Player. $62M raised.
- FlutterWave — Payment APIs in Africa. $65M raised.
- Proxy — Touchless workplace and mobile identity. $59M raised.
- Redacted — Collaborate. $82M raised.
- UpKeep — Modern, intuitive, and mobile first CMMS that is proven to streamline the work order process.$49M raised.
- LambdaSchool — Free online web dev and data science education: pay with ISA after getting hired with annual $50k+ income! $122M raised.
- Flirtey — real-time delivery by flying robots. $16M raised.
- Gravitational — Remote access and secure deployments for developers via SSH and Kubernetes. $29M raised.
- Zeplin — Connected space for design and product teams. $1.4M raised.